Tis the season for a focus on the gift of the Apple tree (Pyrus malus). An Apple a Day really can keep the doctor away, one of many reasons, because apples contain immune boosting vitamin C.
We were fortunate enough to move into a home 20 years ago that had an apple tree in the backyard. Through the years my family has benefited from the bounty of that tree. I've canned an abundance of applesauce, made cider, fruit leather, pie filling, and apple crisp. All of this happened without thinking much about how much that tree has benefited our health. Eating foods that grow in the environment one resides, is one of the best rewards to give the body.
Apples solve problems. Need to poop or stop pooping? Apples can help. You remember the old go-to for 'post stomach bug' diet? B.R.A.T. = Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. Peeled and grated apples are excellent for illnesses involving diarrhea (as they can be binding), but whole apples can be a gentle laxative. Whole apples are a great source of fiber.
There have been successes with using dried apple peel infusions (made into a tea) for rheumatic illnesses.
“Apples have been linked to numerous health benefits, including improved gut health and reduced risk of stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and some cancers,” says Jessica Levinson, RDN, a culinary nutrition expert in Westchester, New York.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of our oldest foods and medicines. ACV is high in potassium, promoting cell, tissue and organism growth. Many new studies have been done on the benefits of apple cider vinegar in your regular diet, including her ability to balance blood sugar levels.
Plus ALL of these other Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) benefits:
- Many people add ACV to their diet to aid in weight loss.
- Apple cider vinegar can be added to a bath to lower a fever.
- ACV mixed with warm water and sea salt can make a soothing gargle for a sore throat.
- Drink ACV if you have a stuffy nose, to help thin mucus.
- Drink a bit of acv before a meal, if you have stomach issues.
- ACV makes a lovely hair rinse.
- Let's not forget apple cider vinegar's ability to beat a fungus. Mix a bit with tea tree essential oil and make a spritz to apply to athlete's foot. If this potion is too strong dilute it with a bit of distilled water.
- Got heartburn? Sip a bit with warm water during your meal.
- Got sunburn? Mix a bit of ACV with water or aloe and apply to your tender skin.
A diet high in flavonoids can decrease your chances of dementia and Alzheimer's. Guess what is high in flavonoids? APPLES!
An apple a day, you know, for your health.
While supplies last you can add an apple to your cart (for free) in our Rainbow Shop!